Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Sinus Tale


Yes, dear readers- this post is about my sinuses. Why, you might ask? Well, after a much procrastinated trip to the Ear, Nose and Throat Dr., it has been determined that I will be having surgery in 3 days. On my sinuses.

It was totally a God thing that any of this even happened, because I was able to get an appointment, have a CT scan, and have that CT scan read all in a period of about 6 hours. WHO ELSE DOES THAT HAPPEN TO?? wow. Dr. Sciacca called me back to his office and then proceeded to show me lots of slides which indicated these things:

1. 11 of my 12 sinuses are completely blocked, and show signs of "sinus disease", or infection lingering for many months.
2. My septum is deviated and looks like a "knuckled letter S" in the words of Dr. Sciacca
3. My sinuses are filled with cysts and polyps that have been trapping infection and not letting my sinuses heal. This explains why I go a month or so without a sinus infection, and then wham, another one pops right up. The slightest irritation can trigger this.
So, basically, during surgery the Dr. will straighten my septum (ow), and scrape and snip all the polyps and cysts out of my sinuses. None of which sounds particularly delightful, so I hope you are not eating while reading this. My mom is coming up to be...well, a mom, and nurse me back to health (AKA keep the pain meds comin'), and it just so happens that K had the day off anyway, so he'll be around to help out, too. I could not have asked for anything more. If I have to have surgery, this is the way to go!
This also means that in the next 3 days I have to write a weeks worth of lesson plans, and not just any lesson plans like most teachers, but CHOIR lesson plans which totally throw subs off kilter. Here's hoping I can get them all done.


post signature

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hope you are healing well!

Lisa said...

Feel better!!